Thursday, February 17, 2005

Homebound

I’ll be leaving for my home country, Malaysia tonight.. an 'event' which I am both elated and nervous at. Elated and excited obviously, to see my family and to enjoy the simply scrumpious platters of food that will be served to me at home. (haha, I wish! I'm talking good ol' roti canai at the mamak store, pearl milk tea from pasar malam, and of course, wan tan mee from the local coffee shop. I am not fond of Malaysian food at all and the 3 listed above is just about my limit!) Yes, yes, digressing again.

As I was saying, I am nervous because I was so kindly reminded by my younger sister the other day that everytime I go home nowadays, inevitably, I get into at least one argument with my mom. It's usually about something really small and silly but then again, which fights are about things that truly matter? Haha.. Anyway, I recall that every single time that happens, I go through the same few stages: I get really upset, slam the door to my room, sob quietly in my room, call WS for support and comfort and then vow never to come home again. Sighh.. will I ever learn my lesson?

It's just human nature, you know.. We know very well that certain things are trouble but yet, we insist on going for it. Literally, it's "looking for trouble" and as Hokkiens like to say, "Bo kia si". (Translation - not scared to die) I mean, I am scared of death and what lies beyond this but it's as if it's incredibly exhilirating for humans to challenge the notion of death. I think we've evolved into an extremely egotistical race that believes that they're bigger than life and hence, are capable of challenging death. Ok ok, a bit overdramatic here with the whole death thing. Let's get back on track.

Getting into trouble on purpose. Like I said, it's almost as if it's a natural part of human nature, like thinking, using opposable thumbs, being kiasu etc. My little brothers JT1 and JT2 are exactly like that. If you were to tell them that they are forbidden to do something, less than a minute later, you'll catch them doing it, equipped with a cheeky smile and a mischievious glint in their eyes. Some may prefer to call this plainly being rebellious in nature. I suppose this is good, otherwise we would have never had revolutions or opposing parties and we'll all be living in a (I'd like to quote my housemate JC) single-faceted world.

Ok, I've lost my point on why I brought this up. Oh well.. I was never known to have an attention span of more than 40 seconds. Wonder how I’m a medical student? I’ve been asking myself the same question everyday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home