Thursday, December 07, 2006

Pas de bourree, pirouette and land!

Friends JW, JT and I went to watch our first ballet the other day, at the Nottingham Royal Concert Hall. We watched 'Swan Lake', performed by the St Petersburg Ballet Theatre. All I can say is.. WOW!!!!!! It was an absolutely fantasticaly incredibly amazing show and I'm so glad that I went! Needless to say, this won't be the last ballet show I watch!

Apart from the fact that it brought fond memories of my early ballet years flooding back to me, everything about the show was nothing short of astounding! Swan Lake is set to Tchaikovsky's luscious and ever-so-famous score, and tells the story of the beautiful Princess Odette-Odille, who was cursed by the evil Rothbart to be a swan. She meets the courageous Prince Siegfried and they fall in love (of course!). Well, I shan't reveal too much about the story, you can go read it up for yourselves, but in this version, it was indeed a very happy ending!



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
.

I was thoroughly impressed with the whole show and did not feel bored or let-down at all! The dancers, every single on of them, including every single member of the corp... it was amazing! They were all perfectly in-sync, coordinated and incredibly graceful! And the men! Although men in tights don't really do anything for me, but these guys were.. wow! Especially the prince! Wow! I mean, it would be every geeky medical student's dream to study anatomy of his legs and arms... and every girl's dream to study his ass! Gosh, his muscles were so toned and well-defined! Of course, the prima ballerina was amazing too.. perfect is all I can say!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

.
The costumes were lavish, glittering and nothing short of opulent, while and the set was not just grandeur, it was magnanimous! This I'm not exaggerating.. I was thoroughly impressed with all the artwork - the backdrop was so real, with its 3-dimensional effect, and the stage itself was adorned with props that really made it feel like you were right there, amongst them, enjoying the royal ball at the palace and feeling terrified by the evil bird-thing at the enchanted lake. I was totally mesmerized! You can see for yourself in these pictures, they truly looked exactly like that in reality!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
.

Anyhow, the point is, if any of you have a chance to go watch a ballet, especially by a world-renowned ballet company, go for it! Even if you don't have a dance background, it'll definitely be entertaining and a thorough joy! What an experience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home